Saturday 24 August 2013

Romancing a subject .....

"Romancing a subject" - the title might seem strange but it does happen in the lives of many when one gets deeply engaged with that particular subject. Though I am not a Casanova but I have fallen twice in such love in my life till date.Perhaps there were some deep ingrained similarities which were very subtle and can only be felt if one is thoroughly in relation with the topic.

My first crush was - Physics ... A lovely subject which trapped my feelings since schooldays. The intriguing theories presented with mathematical and real life examples which provided a simplistic view of of our sophisticated universe made me lost in the subject. Not that I was a scholar but I felt satisfied and happy spending time with Physics whenever I got an opportunity. It was a kind of unconditional love. The waves, statics, electromagnetism's, optics, nuclear physics all painted the canvas of my mind with varied and long lasting colors.

Now when I am pursuing my MBA another subject which is playing with my feelings and attracting me massively is economics. Though the 2 subjects are a distant apart but I do find striking similarities in the 2 of them. Economics seeks to explain the individual behavior on taking optimal decisions in relation to its environment (business environment to be precise) & is similarly described with mathematics as well the real life examples. The Game, production, cost, demand theories and that on market structures have split the canvas of my mind (once occupied by physics only) and painting the same with different colors.

What makes me feel for both of them is a question of which I am not sure of as well. Is it the way of expression of ideas that resemble which appeals to me or do they indeed have a similarity ? Perhaps if we think (rather we are) that we individuals are part of the universe and understanding the happenings in the universe would help us explaining the incidents in the individual behavior as well then a certain relationship can be explained. Its like micro factors operating in a macro environment. Still a long way to go in understanding the subject and hopefully at the end of the road I do get to know with certainty the real features of economics that made me to fall for it .......


No comments:

Post a Comment